Thursday, May 26, 2016

D.I.Y. mirror dresser with overlays for under $150

While redecorating my room, I thought it would be a great idea to get a mirrored dresser (minus the hefty price tag). Seriously, some of these dressers retail anywhere from $300 to $1,000. Ain't nobody got to spend that! I decided to make my own. All for under $150. If you saw my D.I.Y. nightstand from Ikea post, then you know I'm all about Doing It Myself for cheap!

I headed down to my local Ikea (which was an experience in itself). After a trek of 20 minutes through a maze of bright lights, I made it to the warehouse. I picked out my wood Malm dresser. Yes, wood because the store was conveniently out of stock in the white, even though their inventory was said to have 3 in stock. *sigh* The malm dresser retails for $79.99 and was super easy to put together. Score!


After a few quick coats of paint, I indeed had myself a white dresser.

Next, I ordered overlays from MyOverlays.com They have soooooo many to choose from and are customized to fit over Ikea furniture. I ordered "Jasmine" and the cost was $55.95 for all three drawers.

While waiting for delivery of my overlays, I got my mirror from Lowe's. Select a 30" x 24" piece and have the handy dandy people at Lowe's cut it for you (FOR FREE) into three 8" x 30" strips. While at Lowe's, get your adhesive glue. I chose Liquid Nails. Worked like a charm. Total setback for cost of Mirror and Glue was $15.00
Now get to gluing! You want to lay the dresser on it's back (or remove shelves and lay them with front facing ceiling) and apply a thin layer of glue around border of the back side of the mirror. Then apply more glue in a big X across the back. Apply mirror to drawer and clean it of any residue. 
Apply glue around border of the back of your overlay and then dot all around backing (careful not to use too much glue as it will ooze out once you press it on top of your mirror). Press overlay on top of mirror and clean up any residue. 
Repeat with the two other drawers.
Gather heavy items and weigh down area. This is important and the most annoying step because if you're like me, you hate waiting and are anxious to have your dresser completed. But you need to wait a full 24 hours before even thinking about touching your dresser or else you run the risk of gravity sliding the mirror and overlay off and or peeling corners of the overlay. Not so pretty and not so chic. So WAIT 24 HOURS!

Once the 24 hours have ended, place your dresser upright (or return your drawers to the dresser) and Tada!

You now have your own mirrored dresser for under $150.95 Not a bad deal!
XOXO



1 comment:

  1. I want to know if the mirror is sharp/exposed even with the overlays on it?
    Can you please let me know. I am so inspired and definitely want to give this a try.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete