Monday, December 30, 2013

Resolutions Shmesolutions

Statistics state that only 8% of people are successful in achieving their new year's resolution. What the eff people?! The top ten resolutions include losing weight, becoming organized, spending less mullah and saving more, enjoying life to the fullest, staying fit and healthy, learn something exciting, quit smoking, help others achieve their dreams, fall in love, and hang with the fam more.
I'm all about making positive lifestyle changes and doing what ever it is that you really want to be doing in life. The question I have for you is why wait until January 1st to declare and make these said changes? I mean do you really have to wait until the first day of the year to do something about your jeans not zipping and/or buttoning? I know for me I hit that sad sad realization after eating a few too many slices of pepperoni pizza with ranch dressing and my jeans wouldn't button and/or zip the VERY NEXT DAY.
 
Whether it's January 1st or May 27th, You've decided to set a resolution. Hip hip hooray! How are you going to reach it? In order for resolutions to actually stick I think people should be realistic, plan out the journey, and set mini-goals. Want to lose those 10 lbs? (don't we all?)... Use these 3 tips to help in getting yourself to your goal.

1. It's time to start getting really specific my friend. Set the dates of which you want to reach your 3 lb weight loss, your 5 lb weight loss, etc.. etc.. Plan out the changes you are going to make to reach those goals. Are you going to skip out on Friday night cocktails with the girls or switch your morning vanilla latte with extra whipped cream for green tea? Mini-changes like this will totally help to switch from bad behaviors to good behaviors.

2. Pay attention and track your progress. Be like the greats: Mark Twain, Tolstoy, and Carrie Bradshaw and put the pen to the paper. Write as much down as you can. Self monitoring your journey will help you stay on track.

3. Get public with your decision for change. I'm not talking about those annoying daily Facebook status updates of "It's 6AM and I'm heading to the gym to get my run on" or the photo of your lunch of salmon, broccoli, and dessert of vitamins. But I do think it's crucial to get the word out to your close friends and family. Moral support and encouragement from your tightest allies can help lead you to victory.

If you are among the 45% making a declaration for a change come January 1st, then peace be with you my friend. Good luck and enjoy the journey! I wish you success! Feel free to comment below and tell me about your experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment