Wednesday, May 28, 2014

To Tinder or not to Tinder?

A few weeks ago, I was out to dinner with a group of 5 platonic friends. 3 guys and 3 girls. Naturally the topic of dating came up. I was shocked to find out that 3 of the people at our table were Tinder users. What is Tinder? You might ask. It is defined as a phone app that shows a picture of a person and you can swipe left and "nope" them or swipe right and "like" them. It's based off of physical attraction and geographic location alone and totally shallow. Once "liking" a person, you can begin messaging them if and only if the said person "likes" you back.
With limited resources for dating these days, I found myself asking 'Is this what it's come to?' I questioned the Tinder regulars at the table and heard both positive and negative feedback. I've heard stories from other people about how they met their boyfriend, husband, dog sitter, etc.. on Tinder. I figured what do I have to lose? Curiosity got the best of me and I ended up downloading and signing up for the app that night.
I was pleasantly surprised to have well over 80 "matches" within the first few days. It was a definite ego boost. My superficial high was short-lived when I soon realized that most of my Tinder "matches" were not however matches. Based on only looks alone, there's no way to filter the intentions of other Tinder users. I've found certain users range from wanting to show me their penis, to wanting to marry me and knock me up within 30 minutes of messaging.
Weeding out the duds takes time and effort. Online "dating" could be like a part time job if you let it... but I was willing to give it a go... At this point I figure it can't get much worse. My friends have always gotten a kick out of my dating life and have repeatedly told me that I should start blogging about it. Dating to me is so personal and I have chosen in the past to not put it out there...but there are just too many idiots to not share the stories. Without further ado, it is my pleasure to bring to you a new series, ' The Tinder Diaries '. Consider me like the Taylor Swift of Tinder and get ready, because I'm putting it all out there, which I realize some people may not appreciate, but to those people I say 'Whatever'. I hope you enjoy. Stay tuned......



                                                                             XOXO

15 comments:

  1. I first heard about Tinder about a year ago and I didn't understand it! Now I read about it everywhere haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah can't wait.. thanks for letting us join in on the fun. (literally {FOR ME}) GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, I have checked out tinder before with the same findings as you lol. But I did meet my partner of 7 years on a site called zorpia.com so online dating not too bad and was not part time it was fun x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Tinder. It sounds very interesting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of tinder before, the concept sounds interesting though it's easy to see how the weirdo's would sneak through. Looking forward to the tinder diaries!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of tinder before. I can't wait to read more about your tinder experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Tinder! This is so interesting, and look forward to reading more!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of Tinder - looks interesting! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! I have a friend who met her husband on Tinder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not into tinder.. mainly because I don't understand it. It's so easy to meet people now a days though with social media. Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of the luck ladies! I'll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hearing people's tinder stories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister is on Tinder - we were just talking about this last night - I am totally sharing a link with her to your blog - you guys could probably share stories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had it on my phone and deleted it because it was just silly. It's one thing to do online dating, but when I can't tell anything about you personally, nah, not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's awesome there's resources for people to meet online. I've heard of other networks like this but I've never heard of this one particularly, but I say whatever gets people to connect. I love me a good love story even the ones that start online :)

    ReplyDelete